If you want to learn how to make summer rolls, check out these 5 easy summer roll recipes that are perfect for budget-friendly snacks, weeknight dinners, and more.
Don't be fooled by the name - summer rolls are delicious any time of year, especially if you're trying to hold on to that summertime feeling as fall makes its debut. And best of all, summer rolls are easy (and affordable!) to make at home. Whether you're already a fan of this Vietnamese snack or want to learn how to get rolling, here's everything you need to know about making summer rolls at home... plus, five delicious summer roll recipe ideas.
The only truly required ingredient in summer rolls is the rice paper wrapper - you can find dried rice paper (very cheaply!) at your local supermarket or at a specialty Asian grocer. You'll need to soften them with water until pliable... and from there, you're ready to roll! Just fill with your favorite ingredients, tuck the ends in, serve with a savory dipping sauce, and enjoy!
1. Vietnamese Summer Rolls. Keep it traditional with a Vietnamese-style summer roll, filled with rice noodles, shrimp, veggies (lettuce, carrots, bean sprouts, and cucumber are popular additions!), and fresh herbs.
2. BLT Summer Rolls. You can't go wrong with a classic BLT... so, why not lose the bread and turn this iconic sandwich into a summer roll? Roll together crisp bacon, butter lettuce, and tomato - and add some sliced avocado or a drizzle of garlic aioli if you're feeling especially fancy.
3. Veggie Summer Rolls. Need an easy dinner option for meatless Monday? Stuff your rice paper wrappers with your favorite fresh veggies... or whatever produce is on sale at the grocery store! Think: bell peppers, carrots, cucumber, cabbage, avocado, mushrooms, roasted sweet potato, and even mango.
4. Smoked Salmon & Avocado Summer Rolls. Turn leftover lox into a savory summer roll. Layer smoked salmon and sliced avocado into your rice wrapper, and give it a drizzle of homemade hot sauce for good measure. Add some cucumber or romaine if you want a little crunch!
5. Teriyaki Chicken Summer Rolls. Teriyaki sauce is a hallmark of Asian fusion cuisine... so, why not make a summer roll inspired by it? Toss some cooked chicken in your favorite store-bought teriyaki sauce, then wrap it up in rice paper with veggies and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Save has great tips to help you save at the grocery store and make the most of every at-home dinner, whether that means cheap lunch ideas or weekly meal prep tips. Check your Coupon Book Finder for deals and coupons on activities you can enjoy for your no spend day.